Continuing Education Policies for RVTs
- Allowed all CE to be completed online for last year’s ’20-’21 renewal cycle AND the current ’21-’22 renewal cycle; and,
- Extended the deadline by which all CE hours must be completed for last year’s ’20-’21 renewal cycle from June 30, 2020 to June 30, 2021. (All CE required for ’20-’21 and ’21-’22 must be completed by June 30, 2021 and must be submitted by the ’21-’22 renewal cycle deadline of September 3, 2021.); and,
- Allow all CE to be completed online for the upcoming ’22-’23 renewal cycle (in the CE Period of July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022).
The Continuing Education requirement in Louisiana was established with the goal of ensuring that the public receive the best possible care from the veterinary community. The Board attempts to achieve this goal by requiring those persons who are LICENSED TO PRACTICE VETERINARY MEDICINE in Louisiana to remain current in subjects related to the practice of the profession. To that end, the following statutes and rules have been created.
811 D. Continuing Education Requirements
- A minimum of ten continuing education units is required each fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) as a prerequisite for renewal of certification. An RVT who fails to obtain a minimum of ten continuing education units within the applicable fiscal period will not meet the requirements for renewal of his certificate.
- Any programs accepted by another state’s regulatory board of veterinary medicine, a governmental entity, and/or AAVSB, as well as those programs sponsored by AVMA accredited schools of veterinary medicine and/or any professional associations recognized by the board shall be accepted as units or hours of annual continuing education. All other continuing education programs must be approved by the board prior to attendance with the subject matter content properly addressing the clinical practice of a registered veterinary technician. Those continuing education programs not timely submitted in accordance with Subsection F below will not be allowed for annual continuing education credit.
- Proof of attendance, which shall include the name of the course, date(s) of attendance, hours attended, and specific subjects attended, shall be attached to the annual renewal form. Proof of attendance must include verification from the entity providing or sponsoring the educational program. However, the actual mediums of videotaped, self-test programs with third party grading, and/or self-help instruction, including online instruction with third party grading, are limited to five hours per fiscal period (July 1 through June 30). The requirement of timely pre-approval of the program by the board shall apply.
- All hours shall be obtained for the applicable fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) preceding the renewal period of the certificate.
- Each RVT must fulfill his annual educational requirements at his own expense or through a sponsoring agency other than the board.
- Employment at an accredited school or college will not be accepted in lieu of performance of the required hours of continuing education.
- Presenters of an approved continuing education program may not submit hours for their presentation of, or preparation for, the program as continuing education.
811 F. Approved Continuing Education Programs
- Organizations sponsoring a continuing education program for RVTs which is required to obtain pre-approval must submit a request for approval of the program to the board no less than 14 days prior to the commencement of the program. Information to be submitted shall include:
- the name of the proposed program;
- course content; and
- the number of continuing education units to be obtained by attendees.
- RVTs may also submit a request for approval of a continuing education program which is required to obtain pre-approval, however, it must be submitted to the board no less than 14 days prior to the commencement of the program. Information to be submitted shall comply with the requirements of Paragraph F.1 of this Section.
- Continuing education units which are submitted for renewal and were not pre-approved by the board may be reviewed by the board. If the units are not approved, the RVT will be required to take additional continuing education in an approved program prior to renewal of his certificate.
Please see the LIST OF BOARD-APPROVED CE PROGRAMS – which is updated every two weeks – or call the Board office if you have any questions.
Failure to obtain pre-approval may result in the denial of CE credit for annual renewal. In summary, at renewal time, hours which are turned in from programs that were NOT SUBJECT TO AUTOMATIC APPROVAL and/or NOT PRE-APPROVED as required by the Board, may be denied. If the program is denied, you will be required to take additional CE in an approved program prior to completing the renewal process and obtaining a current license. Late fees and fines will be imposed accordingly. Furthermore, if the required CE is not timely obtained during the fiscal period (July 1 through June 30), then the license expires on September 30 and you cannot legally practice as a Veterinary Technician until the renewal process is completed and you are issued a license for the current year.
Employment at an accredited school or college of veterinary medicine will not be accepted in lieu of completion of the required CE hours. Presenters of approved CE programs may not use the hours for program preparation and presentation as CE.
Proof of Attendance
Proof of attendance should consist of an attendance certificate from the sponsoring organization listing the name of conference/program, the actual number of hours personally attended**, the dates of the program, and your name. For large, multi-subject conferences, evidence of the actual programs attended (i.e. records of personal participation, conference schedules noting programs attended) must be provided to the board office. This can be in the form of the Record of Personal Participation (downloadable here).
Acceptable substitutions are:
- program plus proof of payment/registration
- a letter from the sponsoring organization with the information listed in the above paragraph
- transcript of formal post-graduate work related to the practice of veterinary medicine
** NOTE: Reporting actual hours requires you to upload a record of participation, CE Log, or copy of program schedule marked with programs attended for major programs into the LBVM License Portal “Continuing Education” section.
Late Fees and Fines
All Registered Veterinary Technicians in the State of Louisiana are required to obtain 10 hours of continuing education per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) (eff. 7/1/2007) as a prerequisite to renewal. Failure to do so is a violation of the LA Veterinary Practice Act and may result in a late fee and/or fine being imposed by the Board.
- Effective 12/20/1999, the late fee for renewals is $20.
- CE must be taken between July 1 and June 30 to meet the requirement that it be taken as a prerequisite to renewal.
- Renewal packets will be mailed prior to June 30. A time period of no less than 90 days will be provided for return.
- Partial (incomplete) renewal submissions will not be accepted.
- If the required CE is not timely obtained during the fiscal period (July 1 through June 30), then the license expires on September 30 and you cannot legally practice as a Registered Veterinary Technician until the renewal process is completed and you are issued a license for the current year.
UPDATING/ENTERING CONTINUING EDUCATION ACTIVITY
To enter in your continuing education activity, log into the LBVM License Portal and click the “Continuing Education” link in the left-hand menu, then click the “View” link for the appropriate CE period. To add CE programs that you’ve attended, just click on the “+ Add New” button and enter the following required information:
-> Delivery Method,
-> Title of Presentation/Seminar,
-> Start Date (only applicable if CE activity was multiple days),
-> Date of Completion,
-> Number of Credits, and
-> Brief Description of CE Activity
You must then upload the certificate of completion for the CE activity by clicking on the “Choose File” button. Click the “Save>” button, then repeat the above step to enter more CE activity.
For large conferences with multiple presentations, enter the conference details in the above fields, then either upload a scanned copy of the record of personal participation sheet or the LBVM’s Record for Personal Participation Form.
IMPORTANT – All CE activity must be entered in the Continuing Education section PRIOR to starting your renewal process!
If you start your renewal without entering in your CE activity, you will have to back out of the renewal, then enter the CE activity, then continue with the renewal process.