Continuing Education Policies for DVMs
The Continuing Education requirement in Louisiana was established with the goal of ensuring that the public receive the best possible care from the veterinary community. The Board attempts to achieve this goal by requiring those persons who are LICENSED TO PRACTICE VETERINARY MEDICINE in Louisiana to remain current in subjects related to the practice of the profession. To that end, the following statutes and rules have been created.
403 A. Continuing Veterinary Education Requirements
A minimum of twenty (20) actual hours is required each fiscal year (July1 through June 30) as a prerequisite for annual renewal of a license. Hours may be taken from:
- A continuing veterinary education program accepted by another state’s regulatory board of veterinary medicine, a governmental entity, and/or AAVSB, as well as those programs sponsored by AVMA accredited schools of veterinary medicine and/or any professional associations recognized by the board; however, any other programs and/or their participants, including in-house programs, shall be submitted to the board for pre-approval of the units or hours of continuing education in accordance with Rule 409A.3 and 4, respectively.
- A maximum of ten hours of credit may be obtained in approved video-taped, self-test programs with third party grading, and/or self-help instruction, including online instruction with third party grading;
- The twenty hour requirement for annual renewal of a license may be taken in any combination of the following Board approved programs regarding subject matter content: clinical, alternative, regulatory, practice management, and/or research; however, the actual mediums of approved video-taped, self-test programs with third party grading, and/or self-help instruction, including online instruction with third party grading, are limited to the ten hour maximum set forth in paragraph A.2 of this section.
409 A. Approved Continuing Education Programs
It shall be the duty of the Louisiana Board of Veterinary Medicine to approve all continuing veterinary education programs for which credit shall be given to Louisiana licensed veterinarians as follows:
- All units or hours from contact participation programs listed on the pre-approved list of the Board shall be accepted, as well as all units or hours from contact participation from programs accepted by another state’s regulatory board of veterinary medicine, a governmental entity, and/or AAVSB, as well as those programs sponsored by AVMA accredited schools of veterinary medicine and/or any professional associations recognized by the board.
- The list of programs for which pre-approval has been granted will be updated as needed and published by the Board on its website, as well as those programs which are accepted by another state’s regulatory board of veterinary medicine, a governmental entity, and/or AAVSB, and those programs sponsored by AVMA accredited schools of veterinary medicine and/or any professional associations recognized by the board.
- Additions to the list of pre-approved programs may be requested by writing to the board office and submitting documentation as required by the office. All programs not on the pre-approved list must be submitted for pre-approval at least 14 days prior to the date of the program for the units or hours to be credited. Pre-approval may be obtained by writing or calling the board office during regular business hours.
- an in-house continuing education program may be approved by the board if such program’s subject matter content complies with the board’s rules, and the program is open by invitation/advertisement to interested veterinarians in general who are not associated with the in-house practice at issue at least ten calendar days prior to the commencement of the program. The general requirements regarding continuing education, including timely submission for pre-approval of the program by the board, continues to apply.
- In order to qualify for board approval, all continuing education programs must be open by invitation/advertisement to interested veterinarians in general.
Please see the LIST OF BOARD-APPROVED CE PROGRAMS – which is updated every two weeks – or call the Board office if you have any questions.
Failure to obtain pre-approval may result in the denial of CE credit for annual renewal. In summary, at renewal time, hours which are turned in from programs that were NOT SUBJECT TO AUTOMATIC APPROVAL and/or NOT PRE-APPROVED as required by the Board, may be denied. If the program is denied, you will be required to take additional CE in an approved program prior to completing the renewal process and obtaining a current license. Late fees and fines will be imposed accordingly. Furthermore, if the required CE is not timely obtained during the fiscal period (July 1 through June 30), then the license expires on September 30 and you cannot legally practice as a Veterinarian until the renewal process is completed and you are issued a license for the current year.
Employment at an accredited school or college of veterinary medicine will not be accepted in lieu of completion of the required CE hours. Presenters of approved CE programs may not use the hours for program preparation and presentation as CE.
Proof of Attendance
Proof of attendance should consist of an attendance certificate from the sponsoring organization listing the name of conference/program, the actual number of hours personally attended**, the dates of the program, and your name. For large, multi-subject conferences, evidence of the actual programs attended (i.e. records of personal participation, conference schedules noting programs attended) must be provided to the board office. This can be in the form of the Record of Personal Participation (downloadable here).
Acceptable substitutions are:
- program plus proof of payment/registration
- a letter from the sponsoring organization with the information listed in the above paragraph
- transcript of formal post-graduate work related to the practice of veterinary medicine
** NOTE: Reporting actual hours requires you to upload a record of participation, CE Log, or copy of program schedule marked with programs attended for major programs into the LBVM License Portal “Continuing Education” section.
Late Fees and Fines
All licensed veterinarians in the State of Louisiana are required to obtain 20 hours of continuing education per fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) (eff. 07/1/2007) as a prerequisite to renewal. Failure to do so is a violation of the Veterinary Practice Act and may result in a late fee and/or fine being imposed by the Board.
- Effective 11/20/2014, the late fee for renewals is $150.
- The late fee for failure to take appropriate CE hours in the proper time frame of July 1 to June 30, is $25, and a fine of up to $50 may be levied.
- CE must be taken between July 1 and June 30 to meet the requirement that it be taken as a prerequisite to renewal.
- Renewal packets will be mailed prior to June 30. A time period of no less than 90 days will be provided for return.
- Partial (incomplete) renewal submissions will not be accepted.
- If the required CE is not timely obtained during the fiscal period (July 1 through June 30), then the license expires on September 30 and you cannot legally practice until the renewal process is completed and you are issued a license for the current year.
UPDATING/ENTERING CONTINUING EDUCATION ACTIVITY
To enter in your continuing education activity, log into the LBVM License Portal and click the “Continuing Education” link in the left-hand menu, then click the “View” link for the appropriate CE period. To add CE programs that you’ve attended, just click on the “+ Add New” button and enter the following required information:
-> Delivery Method,
-> Title of Presentation/Seminar,
-> Start Date (only applicable if CE activity was multiple days),
-> Date of Completion,
-> Number of Credits, and
-> Brief Description of CE Activity
You must then upload the certificate of completion for the CE activity by clicking on the “Choose File” button. Click the “Save>” button, then repeat the above step to enter more CE activity.
For large conferences with multiple presentations, enter the conference details in the above fields, then either upload a scanned copy of the record of personal participation sheet or the LBVM’s Record for Personal Participation Form.
IMPORTANT – All CE activity must be entered in the Continuing Education section PRIOR to starting your renewal process!
If you start your renewal without entering in your CE activity, you will have to back out of the renewal, then enter the CE activity, then continue with the renewal process.