Application Instructions – CAET
Full CAET Certification – Full CAET certification may be issued to individuals:
- Upon submission of all items required for application;
- Attendance at the CAET course given by the Board;
- Passing scores on the required examinations; and
- Payment of all applicable fees.
If your facility will be ordering and storing sodium pentobarbital on the facility site, a Louisiana licensed veterinarian or one certified CAET at your facility must be registered with Louisiana Board of Pharmacy – Controlled Dangerous Substance Program (CDS), and with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Sodium pentobarbital cannot be stored on the facility premise if no one is registered with LBP-CDS and DEA for the facility. Only one person can register for the facility and it must be either a Louisiana licensed veterinarian or a state certified CAET.
Lead CAET Designation – The CAET who holds the LBP-CDS and DEA drug registrations to purchase Sodium Pentobarbital for the animal control facility of employment and who have been authorized by the animal control facility may apply to the Board for “Lead” designation of their Louisiana CAET certificate. The “Lead” designated CAET of a facility may apply with LBP-CDS and DEA to add chemical capture drugs to their drug existing registrations for purchase, storage, and use chemical capture drugs at the facility.
The CAET applying for “Lead” designation must submit the following to the Board:
- a complete, signed and notarized application form;
- a copy of his/her current LBP-CDS drug license;
- a copy of his/her current DEA drug registration; and
- document from the sponsor that he/she has completed a Board-approved training course in chemical capture.
At this time, the only Board-approved chemical capture training course is given by Louisiana Animal Control Association (LACA) during the end of July/first week of August, and the course given by Safe Capture International, Inc.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION PORTAL
How to Log Into Application Portal – Go to the LBVM Application Portal. If you have never logged in before, you will need to create your account by clicking on “New user? Apply now” and activate your email address. This email address will be your primary means of communication and used to log into your application in the LBVM Application Portal. Once activated, you will receive an email with a temporary password to use for your initial login attempt. Once you log in with the temporary password, you must create three security questions then you will be able to reset your password.
Starting and Completing a New Application – Once logged into the LBVM Application Portal, on the welcome page you will click the “Start New Application” button. You will then be prompted to select the application type you want to complete. Scroll down and select the “Animal Euthanasia Technician” application type. Carefully read through the application instructions page and click “Save & Continue”. Once you start an application, you will be able to stop along any of the steps, then come back to resume at that place in the application at a later date. Follow the prompts and instructions for each section of the application, clicking “Save & Continue” to move to the next sections.
- Be sure to accurately enter all required information in the application sections, especially all contact information for you, your employer and your references.
- If you answer “yes” to any declaration questions, you will have to enter an explanation and upload any documentation you may have to support your explanation.
- Carefully read all Certifying Statements and click the checkbox to agree to all conditions of application.
Uploading Supporting Documentation – When you get to the Supporting Documentation section, you should upload all necessary documentation. Don’t have all documents ready yet? No worries! Upload what you have and click “Save & Continue” to move forward in the application. Once you make the payment and your application is submitted, you will have the ability to upload any remaining documents under Application Documentation (see details below). The following documents must be uploaded to complete and submit the online application. You must upload a high quality image or PDF.
- Photograph – A recent head & shoulders photograph (passport style).
- Photo Identification – A notarized copy of your current, valid driver’s license OR a copy of your official birth certificate.
- Diploma/Transcript OR Proof of High school Graduation or GED – A copy of your diploma/transcript or other approved proof of high school graduation OR Proof of GED.
- Declarations – Additional documentation may be required related to any “yes” responses in the declaration section of the application.
- For Lead CAET applicants only – If you are also applying for Lead, the LBVM will contact you regarding the Lead Designation documentation needed once your full CAET Certification is approved.
Documents to be sent to LBVM by Third-Party – The following documents are required for complete application review and must be submitted directly to the LBVM from the third-party.
- Reference Letters – You will be asked to get two “Reference of Personal and Professional Character” forms from licensed veterinarians not related to you who can attest to your professional capabilities and ethical standards. Please find the reference form here. This form must be given to your reference writers and sent directly to the LBVM by the reference writer after completion.
- Background Check – Applicants are required to apply for and complete a criminal background check with the Louisiana State Police. Applicants must download and complete the following forms:
These forms must be submitted directly to the LA State Police. The cost of the background check is $26, payable directly to the LA State Police, not the LBVM. If applicants gets fingerprints completed at the LSP Headquarters when submitting the two forms, there is an additional $10 fee payable to the LSP Headquarters at the time of fingerprinting. Otherwise, applicants can get fingerprinted at a local sheriff’s office and have the two fingerprint cards included when the applicant mails the three forms to the LA State Police for processing. (Applicants are responsible for the cost of completing the LA State Police background check. The LBVM will not provide reimbursement; however, applicants can check with employers for possible reimbursements.)
Making Payment for Application – When you get to the Applicant Fee Payment section of the application, you will have two options for method of payment. If your employer is paying for your application by check, you can select the “Check” payment option. Then, after you submit your application, you should print out your invoice as instructed on the fee payment page, and have your employer mail the check payment with the invoice to: LBVM, 5825 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70806. If you choose to pay by credit card, select the “Credit Card” payment option and follow the prompts. If you pay by credit card using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, you must confirm with your employer that you will be reimbursed for your application payment.
APPLICATION FEES – FULL CAET CERTIFICATION
The application fees for full CAET Certification are as follows:
- INITIAL APPLICATION FEE (One-time Fee): $25
- FULL CAET CERTIFICATION FEE: $50
- CAET CERTIFICATION COURSE: $80
- CAET CERTIFICATION EXAMINATION: $50
Total Fees: $205
These fees are paid when the online application is completed. Instructions for submitting payment can be found below under the “Applicant Fee Payment” section of the application. The costs associated with the required criminal background check is NOT included above and is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
CHECKING YOUR APPLICATION STATUS
Once your application is submitted you will receive a confirmation email with more details. You can continue to check the status of your application by logging into the LBVM Application Portal. then on the Welcome page, click the “Review” button next to your application. (When contacting the LBVM Office regarding your application, please use your application number given in the Welcome page.) You will notice under your application details that your application status may initially be listed as “Submitted” or “Pending Payment” and you will see several items listed under Application Documentation related to any required supplemental documentation/information.
NOTE – If any documentation is listed as “Waiting for Upload”, you can finish uploading them at this time in the Application Documentation section.
Your application status will remain as “Submitted” (or “Pending Payment” if you selected the check payment method) until our office can start reviewing your application material. You are urged to frequently log into the LBVM Application Portal to review these application updates from the Board. Your application statuses will update as follows:
- Submitted – Your application has been initially submitted. Please note that your Application Documentation section may not be completely accurate until we start reviewing your material and your status is updated to “Pending Requirements”
- Pending Requirements – Our office has started reviewing your material and updating the Application Documentation section with all missing supplemental documentation and/or information. Frequently check your Application Updates for more details as material is received.
- Pending Payment – All supplemental documentation/information has been received, but final payment of invoice(s) is still needed. Go to “Invoices & Receipts” to make payment.
- Under Review – Your application has been completed and all necessary supplemental documents and payment(s) have been received. Your application is under final review by the Board.
- Approved – Your application has been approved and your license has been issued. Log into the License Portal to download your new LA license.
- Denied – Your application was unfortunately denied by the Board.
You may be contacted via email as we process through your application; however, application updates will be posted in real-time in the Application Documentation section as our office receives more details and/or more of your supporting documentation/information. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding your application for CAET certification with the LBVM, but you are strongly encouraged to frequently log into the LBVM Application Portal to check your application status for updates.
CAET CERTIFICATION TRAINING COURSE
While our office processes your application, you should visit www.lsbvm.org/caettraining for information on the next CAET training course being offered and for instructions on signing up for the training course. Only persons who have completed this course and passed the examinations can be fully certified to use controlled substances for animal control and be eligible to obtain controlled substance permits from other state and federal agencies. If a future date is not available on the LBVM website, please contact the LBVM at firstname.lastname@example.org to see when the next training course will be scheduled.